The current distribution of quake relief materials was going well after initial difficulties, according to an official with the Ministry of Civil Affairs.
Ministry spokesman Pang Chenmin made the remarks when asked to comment on the distribution of relief materials in the quake zone at a press conference here Thursday.
Pang admitted difficulties in providing relief goods in the initial stages due to short supply of materials in quake-hit Yushu and poor road access to the region.
However, the delivery of quake-relief materials was soon brought to order thanks to government efforts to allocate and transport quake-relief materials nationwide to the quake zone. Pang said, "The registration and distribution of relief materials is well organized and managed."
Pang also said homeless survivors had been properly resettled in tents and there was "no problem" in supplying them with basic food.
To get through the present difficulties, each homeless survivor without an income would also qualify for a daily allowance of 10 yuan ($1.5) and 500 grams of grain from May to July, he said, adding the government would implement more policies to help the survivors before July.
Concerning quake donations, Pang said they would be channeled to the quake zone by the Ministry of Civil Affairs and 15 other foundations, such as Red Cross Society of China, China Charity Federation, organized by the ministry according to the reconstruction plan.
"Some donations have specific uses stipulated by the donators, and the rest all will go to post-quake reconstruction work, including the reconstruction of residential housing, and public infrastructures," said Pang.
When asked to comment on media reports of a 20 percent commission drawn by foundations for donation delivery, Pang said that it was impossible.
The 7.1-magnitude earthquake in Yushu, Qinghai Province, had left 2,183 dead by Wednesday afternoon with 84 people reported missing and 12,135 injured.
(Xinhua News Agency April 22, 2010)