Use innovation to support and lead economic structural improvement and upgrading
Innovation is the motive for adjusting and upgrading the economic structure. We need to make innovation the core of China's development endeavors, promote the full integration of science and technology with economic and social development, and elevate China's industries to the high range of the global value chain.
- Accelerate reform of the science and technology management system.
We will strengthen the leading role businesses play in making technological innovation and encourage enterprises to set up research institutes and take the lead in establishing industry-academia-research collaboration in making innovation.
- Rely on reform and support growth in some sectors while curbing excess and outdated production capacity in others in the process of industrial structural adjustment.
Accelerate the development of education, health, culture and other social programs
Boosting the development of social programs is an effective way to promote social justice and increase people's happiness. We need to deepen reform of the social system and promote coordinated economic and social development by increasing spending and adopting stronger measures.
- Give high priority to developing education and making it more equitable.
We will continue to allocate more education resources to the central and western regions and rural areas and promote the balanced development of compulsory education. We will comprehensively improve conditions in poorly built and run schools providing compulsory education in poor areas.
- Deepen medical reform.
We will consolidate the national basic medical insurance system and integrate the basic medical insurance system for rural residents with that for non-working urban residents through reform. We will improve the mechanism for the government, employer and employee to share the costs of basic medical insurance.
- Continue to deepen reform of the cultural sector, improve policies pertaining to the cultural economy, and enhance China's overall cultural strength and competitiveness.
- Promote innovation in social governance.
We will focus on law-based governance and involve all parties in social governance.
Make coordinated efforts to ensure and improve people's well-being
The people are the foundation of a nation, and a nation can enjoy peace only when its foundations are strong. The fundamental goal of a government's work is to ensure that everyone lives a good life. We will continue to build institutions, improve weak links, help those in need of subsistence assistance, ensure everyone has access to basic necessities, and improve people's living standards and quality of life.
- Steadfastly implement the strategy of giving top priority to employment and business startup environment, and foster business startups in an innovative way so that they can create more jobs.
- Deepen reform of the income distribution system and strive to narrow the income gap.
- Focus on advancing reform of the social assistance system, continue to raise subsistence allowances to rural and urban residents, implement the system of provide temporary assistance nationwide, provide safeguards to enable extremely vulnerable groups to meet their basic living needs, and improve social services so that people can focus on their work.
- Improve the mechanism for providing adequate housing.
- Give our full attention to workplace safety.
Build China into a beautiful homeland with a sound ecological environment
Fostering a sound ecological environment is vital for people's lives and the future of our nation. Smog is affecting larger parts of China and environmental pollution has become a major problem, which is nature's red light warning against the model of inefficient and blind development. We must strengthen protection of the ecological environment and resolve to take forceful measures to complete this challenging task.
- Take strong measures to strengthen pollution prevention and control.
We will fully implement the plan for preventing and controlling air pollution, with the focus on mega cities and regions with frequent occurrence of smog. We will start by reducing PM10 and PM2.5 emissions, and focus on the following key areas: improving the industrial structure, raising energy efficiency, reducing vehicle exhaust emissions, and preventing and monitoring wind-borne dust.
We will improve the new mechanism involving government, enterprises and the general public, coordinate prevention and control efforts in affected regions, and fully implement the action plan for preventing and controlling air pollution.
- Change the way energy is produced and consumed.
- Move forward with ecological protection and development.