Sentences for 55 people have been handed down so far for the involvement in the March 14 riot in Tibet's capital, a senior Tibetan official said on Tuesday.
Baema Cewang, vice chairman of the regional government, made the remarks during a meeting with Michael Andrew Johnson, a visiting member of the Australian House of Representatives.
Following the violence, police detained 1,317 people, of whom 1,115 were subsequently released. The rest stood trial, said Cewang.
The violence involved widespread attacks against people and property, in which 18 innocent civilians and one police officer died and 382 civilians and 241 police were injured.
Rioters also torched 120 houses and 84 vehicles and looted 1,367 shops, causing a direct economic loss of 320 million yuan (about $47 million).
Previous reports said 30 people had been convicted of arson, robbery, disrupting public order and attacking government offices, among other crimes, as of April 29.
Their sentences ranged from three years to life.
(Xinhua News Agency November 5, 2008)