Important stage-by-stage achievements have been made in the past five years since the implementation of the strategy of revitalization of the old industrial bases including Northeast China. Specifically, a major breakthrough has been made in institutional innovation with a focus on the reform of state-owned enterprises: an economic system with diversified ownership structure has developed rapidly; the economic structure has been optimized, independent innovation ability has obviously improved. Those bases are more open to the outside world; infrastructure has been ameliorated; key livelihood issues have been gradually solved and both urban and rural areas have taken on a new look. It is proven the strategy of the Central Government for revitalizing the old industrial bases including Northeast China is timely and correct. However, deep-rooted system and structural problems in the old industrial bases including Northeast China have to be solved, the achieved results are to be reinforced and the potential for accelerated development is to be tapped. In the current situation, the government shall learn from experiences gained from practice, enrich the revitalization strategy and formulate new policies and measures in a timely manner, which are necessary to counter the global financial crisis, promote steady and fast economic development and boost rejuvenation of the old industrial bases including Northeast China. To this end, opinions are proposed as follows:
I. Optimize Economic Structure and Build a Modern Industrial System
1. Speed up the merger and restructuring of enterprises. The principle of market domination and government guidance shall be insisted on and regional, industrial and ownership limits shall be eliminated. Efforts shall be made to optimize resource allocation, promote the mergers and restructuring of enterprises and develop large enterprise groups with international competitiveness. Where any association and restructuring of enterprises in Northeast China involves the disposal of any asset of "shares converted from debts", the right concerning such shares shall be properly handled with new disposal approaches according to real situations. China supports the association and restructuring of large corporate groups under the Central Government and local enterprises, encourages private and foreign-invested enterprises to participate in the reform and restructuring of enterprises in the old industrial bases and give prior support to merged or restructured enterprises for their technical transformation.
2. Make great efforts to facilitate non-public economy and small and medium-sized enterprises. A fair competition environment shall be created to equally protect different ownerships and boost the development of non-public economy. Policies on financing, taxation and market access shall be put into effect to encourage nongovernmental investment in infrastructure, public utility, financial service and social causes. The government shall promote the co-development of public assets, private assets and foreign assets and actively develop the mixed-ownership economy. Employees are allowed to hold a certain percentage of shares of their restructured enterprise. Small and medium-sized enterprises shall be guided to innovate in institutional system and improve operation and management level and market competitiveness. The advantages of concentrating large enterprises in old industrial bases including Northeast China shall be fully exerted and small and medium-sized enterprises are encouraged to establish cooperative relationships with large enterprises to form industrial chains and become "professional, unique and superior". The government shall improve its service to small and medium-sized enterprises in terms of finance for entrepreneurs, continue the establishment of the credit system and the credit guarantee system for such enterprises and support small and medium credit re-guarantee enterprises and their affiliates in Northeast China to expand their businesses.
3. Improve and empower pillar industries. The plan of adjusting and revitalizing key industries shall be carried out. More efforts shall be made on structural adjustment, the elimination of backward facilities and the avoidance of repeated construction. The government shall actively promote IT-based industrialization, transform traditional industries by modern IT means and improve the level of digitization and intellectualization. More shares of the Central Government budget shall go to adjustment and reconstruction projects in old industrial bases including Northeast China. Industries with competitiveness, key enterprises and important brands in this region are encouraged to increase market shares. More efforts shall be made to increase the production of large castings and forgings, nuclear power equipment, wind power equipment, shield machinery, advanced vessel and marine engineering equipment, large agricultural machinery, high-speed motor chain units, high-power locomotives, high-end digital control machine tools and key parts and components, which are competitive and are in urgent need in markets. Enterprises are encouraged to purchase equipment made in China and initiate the application of important technical equipment. The Export-Import Bank shall arrange a certain credit quota annually to support the export of important technical equipment made in Northeast China and the People's Bank of China, and the Administration of Foreign Exchange shall give policy support. More efforts shall be made to promote the structural adjustment of the auto industry in Northeast China, mainly developing autos of locally-owned brands, autos with small capacity engines, autos using new energy and key parts and components. The product structure of the steel industry shall be further adjusted. Efforts shall be made to save energy and reduce emission, eliminate backward facilities and improve market competitiveness. In the meantime, more efforts shall be made to explore and develop resources, strengthen foreign cooperation, and improve the guarantee level of ore resources supply. The oil industry shall be optimized. Organs concerned shall speed up the execution of large oil-refining and ethylene projects, improve processing capability and develop fine chemicals and chemical fertilizer industries.
4. Take initiatives to nurture industries with potential. The region shall develop basic parts and components, processing tools and special raw materials by taking advantage of its strong equipment manufacturing ability. It shall develop civil-military dual-purpose technologies by taking advantage of the concentration of military industrial enterprises to develop civil and military dual-purpose technologies, promote civil-military integration and enhance the leading role of military industrial enterprises. Relying on its advantage as a raw material processing base, the region shall spare no efforts to develop unique downstream light industries. With large quantity of agricultural and forest products with superior qualities and its developed stockbreeding, the region will put more efforts in developing the deep processing of agricultural and forest products. The advantage of abundant Chinese medical plant resources shall be given full play to develop modern Chinese medicines. Since it is located in the center of Northeast Asia, the region shall enhance cooperation with neighboring countries in energy and resources development. Emerging industries including aviation, electronic information, biological pharmaceutics, new energy and new materials shall be proactively developed. Local governments are encouraged to set up special support funds for those industries with potential.
5. Speed up the development of modern service industry. Domestic and foreign financial institutions are encouraged to establish branches and offices in Northeast China. Cities that meet certain requirements are encouraged to undertake financial reform and innovation. Small and medium financial institutions are under active support. The region may promote the establishment of auto financial companies and expand auto consumption financing channels. The northeast property transaction platform shall be improved from the aspects of mutual connection, regional integration and function expansion. Dalian Commodity Exchange will be supported to build itself into an important futures transaction center in Asia and launch new types of futures that are competitive in Northeast China and consistent with its functional positioning, while improving its currently listed future types. Modern logistics shall be facilitated. Research shall be conducted to formulate special plans for the development of logistics in Northeast China and a batch of major regional logistics parks shall be established in a comprehensive way. The development of software and service outsourcing industries shall be quickened. Three services outsourcing demonstration cities—Dalian, Harbin and Daqing—will receive major support, and Yanji and Suifenhe are encouraged to take advantage of their unique locations to develop software and service outsourcing industries. The plan for the adjustment and revitalization of cultural industry shall be carried out to support the accelerated development of cultural industries, including cultural innovation, publishing and distribution, films and TV programs production, performances and recreation, cultural exhibition, digital content and animation, to create cultural brands with the characteristics of Northeast China. The construction of public cultural infrastructure and projects for public benefits shall be strengthened and public cultural services systems shall be improved. Efforts to protect cultural relics shall be heightened and overseas cultural exchanges shall be expanded. More efforts shall be made to develop tourism. Organs concerned shall launch special plans for tourism development in Northeast China as soon as possible to enhance the construction of tourism infrastructure, develop appealing destinations with distinctive features and improve management and service level, so as to build a larger, barrier-free northeast tourism zone.