(3) Right to social security
The insurance systems covering basic old-age pension, basic medical care, unemployment, work-related injury and maternity, as well as the social-aid system will be perfected, so as to raise the level of social security.
- The drafting of provisions supplementary to social security laws and regulations will be speeded up, and relevant system will be established or improved to strengthen the management, use and supervision of social insurance funds. Laws, regulations and policies regarding social insurance funds will be implemented to guarantee the sound management and safety of the funds.
- The coverage of various types of social insurance will be expanded. By 2010, the population covered by the urban basic old-age pension insurance is expected to exceed 223 million; that covered by basic medical care insurance, 400 million; that by unemployment insurance, 120 million; that by work-related injury insurance, 140 million; and that by maternity insurance, over 100 million. The population covered by rural social old-age pension insurance and corporate annuity will expand year by year.
- The pooling of social security funds will be raised to higher levels, with the pooling of funds for basic old-age pension insurance being raised to the provincial level while that for medical care, unemployment and work-related injury insurance being raised to the city(prefecture) level. The system of reserve fund for work-related injury insurance will be improved.
- The system of "Five Guarantees"(Guarantee of food, clothing, housing, medical care, and burial(education) expenses for elderly people, handicapped people and residents under the age of 16 living in the countryside who have lost the ability to work, have no sources of income and have no people to support them.) will be improved. The Methods on the Management of Rural Five-Guarantee Providers, the Standards for Rural Five-Guarantee Services, and the Construction Plan of Rural Five-Guarantee Facilities will be worked out. The "Xiaguang Program"(Launched by the Ministry of Civil Affairs in January 2007, using government investment and welfare lottery funds, this program intends to build and renovate nursing homes for people under the care of the system of Five Guarantees in rural areas in the period 2006-2010.) will be continued to ensure that rural residents under the care of the system of "Five Guarantees" enjoy the average standard of living of local villagers.
- The system of aid to urban vagrants and beggars will be improved. The state will revise the Measures for Assisting and Managing Urban Vagrants and Beggars with No Means of Livelihood, and institute the Regulations on Aid to and Protection of Vagrant Minors, the Service Standards of Assistance and Management Centers, the Service Standards of Assistance and Protection Centers for Vagrant Minors, and other administrative rules and documents. More assistance and protection centers for vagrant children with complete sets of facilities will be constructed in cities at the prefectural level or above, and in key counties and districts.