(8) The right to oversee
The state will improve laws and regulations, and explore scientific and effective approaches to improve the mechanism of restraint and supervision, and guarantee the people's right of democratic supervision.
- The Law on the Supervision by the Standing Committees of People's Congresses at All Levels shall be implemented to strengthen supervision by the people's congresses' over administrative, trial and procuratorial organs, focusing on conspicuous problems that have a bearing on the overall situation of reform, development and stability, affect social harmony or cause strong public resentment. In the period 2009-2010, the Standing Committee of the National People's Congress will hold hearings and deliberate on reports of the State Council concerning the building of the rural social security system and efforts to improve employment and reemployment; and reports of the Supreme People's Court on strengthening enforcement of court rulings in civil cases, and special reports of the Supreme People's Procuratorate on strengthening inspection of malfeasance and other work. It will continue to strengthen examination and supervision of plans for national economic and social development, and of budgets and final accounts. It will earnestly organize for inspection on the enforcement of the Trade Union Law, Stock-breeding Law, the Law on Food Safety and other laws, do a good job in the follow-up and supervision of any suggestions proposed in inspection reports on the enforcement of the Labor Contract Law, Compulsory Education Law, Law on the Protection of Minors and other laws. It will also strengthen examination and supervision regarding whether normative documents conform to the Constitution and laws.
- The democratic supervision mechanism of the CPPCC will be improved, making institutional improvements in the links of getting information, communication and feedback to guarantee unblocked channels for democratic supervision and enhance the quality and efficiency of democratic supervision. Full play will be given to the role of CPPCC bills and proposals in democratic supervision, and government departments concerned shall handle them seriously, and give formal replies without delay.
- The people's supervision over administrative, trial and procuratorial organs will be strengthened, and efforts will be stepped up to exercise supervision over law enforcement, and government honesty and efficiency. The special supervisor system will be further improved to strengthen supervision over administrative organs and their functionaries. The state will explore and experiment with the special examiner system to supervise, together with other forms of supervision, court operation and judicial officers in terms of trial style, style of work, professional ethics, honesty and self-discipline. The state will explore and experiment with the special inspector system, reform and improve the people's supervisor system, and supervise procuratorial organs, together with other forms of supervision.
- The state will guarantee citizens' rights to criticize, give advice to, complain of, and accuse state organs and civil servants, and give full play to the role of mass organizations, social organizations and the news media in supervising state organs and civil servants.
- Laws and regulations on the prevention and punishment of corruption will be strictly implemented, so will rules that require leading cadres to be clean and self-disciplined. Supervision over principal leading cadres will be earnestly strengthened to ensure the correct exercise of power. Full play will be given to the role of administrative supervision to resolutely stop unhealthy practices that hurt the fundamental interest of the public, and effective measures will be taken to deal with major issues that cause strong public resentment.