Not far from the magnificent buildings of the Bund is Shiliupu Dock. With a history of 150 years, Shiliupu Dock used to be the largest in Asia. It also served as Shanghai's door to the outside world.
The name Shiliupu dates to 1860 during the late Qing Dynasty (1644-1911). In order to resist attacks from Taiping rebel troops, local officials organized 16 (shiliu) stores (pu) and commercial companies to help support public security and local affairs. The Shiliupu eventually grew into an important commercial dock.
Today, an observation platform overlooking large clusters of trees, and steel and glass structures are spread across Shiliupu, earning it the name "Cloud on the Huangpu River."
A curved waterfront terrace was also completed here, to fully present the Bund and all its features and fulfill citizens' wishes to "approach Huangpu River, approach the mother river."
When lunchtime rolls around, there's no better place to eat than Chenghuang Temple near Yu Garden—and there's no better snack to indulge in than small steamed buns.