U.S. President Donald Trump on May 24 sent a letter to the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK)'s top leader, Kim Jong Un, to cancel their planned meeting in Singapore on June 12.
The letter came on the heels of the escalating exchanges of accusations between the two sides.
In the letter released by the White House, Trump said that although he was very much looking forward to being in Singapore with Kim, it was "inappropriate" at this time to have this meeting "based on the tremendous anger and open hostility" displayed in the DPRK's most recent statements.
"Therefore, please let this letter serve to represent that the Singapore summit, for the good of both parties, but to the detriment of the world, will not take place," Trump said.
However, he added that he still looks very much forward to meeting Kim "some day."
"I felt a wonderful dialogue was building up between you and me, and ultimately, it is only that dialogue that matters," Trump said. "We greatly appreciate your time, patience and effort with respect to our recent negotiations and discussions relative to a summit long sought by both parties."
He also thanked the DPRK for releasing the three U.S. detainees, noting it was "a beautiful gesture and was very much appreciated."
Earlier on May 24, the DPRK repeated the warning that it would reconsider whether to attend the scheduled meeting with Trump.
Choe Son Hui, the DPRK's vice foreign minister, said she would put forward a suggestion to Kim for reconsidering the DPRK-U.S. summit if the United States continues with hostile remarks and actions, according to the Korean Central News Agency.
The DPRK's strong reaction came after U.S. Vice President Mike Pence said in an interview earlier this week that the country might end like Libya.
Calling his remarks "ignorant and stupid," Choe said that Pence should seriously consider the "terrible consequences of his words" before making such comments.
This is the second time within days for Pyongyang to warn Washington that it might cancel the meeting because of provocative anti-DPRK remarks by top U.S. officials.
DPRK last week expressed anger at words by U.S. National Security Advisor John Bolton that United States would use the "Libya model" to denuclearize the country.
Yet on May 22, Trump said the summit "may not work out for June 12" during his meeting with South Korean President Moon Jae-in.
"If it does not happen, maybe it will happen later. Maybe it will happen at a different time. We will see," said Trump.
Earlier this month, the DPRK called the "2018 Max Thunder" joint drill between the United States and South Korea a deliberate challenge to the Panmunjom Declaration issued by the two koreas' leaders. It also announced to suspend high-level talks with South Korea infinitely.
(Xinhua News Agency May 24, 2018)